Throughout the tenure of his career, Kurt Lockwood has garnered a thorough understanding of the business side of IP, as well as the industries and technologies affecting KDB clients, with both in-house and law firm experience. As a Principal with KDB, focusing on patent matters, Kurt’s practice includes strategic counseling, transaction due diligence and contracting, licensing, freedom to operate assessment, patent portfolio management, and litigation support.
Representing clients across a broad range of industries and technologies, Kurt has a particular expertise in medical devices and healthcare technologies.
Prior to joining KDB, Kurt was Vice President and Chief Patent Counsel for several business groups at Boston Scientific Corporation. His in-house experience at the company includes:
- Leading an intellectual property legal team in support of the Endoscopy, Urology & Women’s Health and Interventional Oncology divisions, having combined global revenues of $1.8B
- Development and execution of strategies to grow and enforce divisional worldwide IP portfolios, as a member of the divisional project investment and management boards of Boston Scientific
- Oversight of all IP aspects of numerous acquisitions, investments and divestitures with a combined value in excess of $4.6B
- Management of offensive and defensive IP litigation and EU opposition proceedings
LMG Life Sciences: Life Sciences Star
Selected as “IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists”
- Kurt Lockwood and Jerry O’Neil, “High Court Likely To Look At Scope Of US Patent Law Abroad,” Law360, (May 5, 2016)
- Boston Scientific Corporation, Vice President and Chief Patent Counsel for Endoscopy, Urology & Women’s Health, Interventional Oncology, 2004 - 2015
- Testa Hurwitz & Thibeault LLP, Senior Associate, 1998 - 2002
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, Associate, 1994 - 1998
- Cushman Darby & Cushman, Associate, 1994 - 1998