Muriel Liberto brings a deep technical background and decades of law firm experience to creating, managing, and strategically developing the patent assets of KDB clients. She provides thoughtful, practical advice on patentability, competitive landscape, and freedom to operate, as well as IP due diligence for financings and transactions.
Muriel strives to understand not only the technology, but also the business of KDB clients, in order to ensure that IP strategies are aligned with and furthering their goals, whether they be emerging or more established companies, universities, or non-profit research institutions.
Her experience includes:
• Client counseling in patent portfolio development, management, and strategy in diverse technologies such as small molecule therapeutics, antibodies, vaccines, gene therapy, cell therapy, molecular diagnostics, AI-based clinical decision support systems and approaches for personalized medicine, topical, inhaled, and oral delivery systems for small molecules and polymer-based systems for nucleic acid delivery
• Patent preparation and world-wide prosecution in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries
• IP due diligence in connection with financings and transactions
Don’t Be Caught without Possession (of Your Invention): What You Need To Know about the Written Description Requirement | By Muriel Liberto and Peter J. Cuomo | | IP Litigator March/April 2021 27(2)
Personalized Medicine Gets a Boost from the Federal Circuit’s Vanda Pharma Decision | By Muriel M. Liberto, Ph.D. and Jennifer L. Dereka | IP Litigator July/August 2018 24(4)
With its Vanda Pharma and Berkheimer Memos, USPTO Provides Increased Clarity and Predictability in the Patent Eligibility Determination in a Further Boost for Stakeholders and Innovators in Personalized Medicine | July 19, 2018 | Advisory | By Muriel M. Liberto, PhD, Esq.
FDA’s New Biosimilar Action Plan Represents the Next Step for Improving Drug Competition | July 19, 2018 | Blog | By Joanne Hawana, Muriel M. Liberto, PhD, Esq.
Personalized Medicine Gets a Boost from Federal Circuit’s Vanda Pharma Decision PART II: Enforcement | May 1, 2018 | Advisory | By Muriel M. Liberto, PhD, Esq.
Personalized Medicine Gets a Boost from Federal Circuit’s Vanda Pharma Decision PART I | April 19, 2018 | Advisory | By Muriel M. Liberto, PhD, Esq.
USPTO Guidance for Examiners Takes Expansive View of Myriad and Prometheus Decisions | March 7, 2014 | Blog | By Muriel M. Liberto, PhD, Esq.
JAN 15 2020 | Planning for Success: Integrating Product Development with Intellectual Property and Regulatory Strategies | ELabs NYC New York, NY
SEP 25 2019 | IP Diligence: Identifying, evaluating, and mitigating risk related to intellectual property; Focus on the Healthcare Sector and Tips for Angel Investors | Golden Seeds NY Investor Forum New York, NY
JAN 16 2019 | Planning for Success: Integrating Product Development with Intellectual Property and Regulatory Strategies | ELabs NYC New York, NY
JUN 18 2018 | IP 101 for Emerging Companies | Princeton Innovation Center BioLabs Plainsboro, NJ
APR 4 2018 | New York Life Science Founders Seminar #10 | BioLabs NYU Langone New York, NY
JUL 19 2017 | Patent Protection for Pharma and Biotechnology in 2017 | The Knowledge Group Webinar
MAR 5 2014 | Patentable Subject Matter Pitfalls Affecting the Healthcare Industry | BioIndustry Association (BIA)
- Member, Mintz Levin, New York NY — 2016-2022
- Of Counsel, Mintz Levin, New York NY — 2014-2016
- Associate, Mintz Levin, New York NY — 2008-2014
- Associate, Jones Day, New York NY — 2006-2008
- Patent Agent, Jones Day, New York NY — 2004-2006
- Patent Agent, Cooper & Dunham LLP, New York NY — 2001-2004