Karen Horowitz has nearly 30 years of experience in patent drafting and prosecution. Her in-house experience has allowed her to be a strategic partner to her clients. Karen has successfully prosecuted hundreds of patents through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Karen has experience in a wide array of technologies including child safety, electromechanical, medical devices, and consumer products. As a Principal at KDB, Karen works closely with clients to develop patent procurement strategies to build broad and commercially relevant patent portfolios. She evaluates the patentability of and freedom to operate new products, services, and technologies, and develops strategies to challenge the validity of competitors’ patents. She also prepares all types of intellectual-property-related agreements.
Her experience includes:
- Chief patent counsel for US and Worldwide company groups
- Patent attorney for Consumer Healthcare group focusing on Packaging, Naturals, Skincare (Acne), devices
- Hunter Douglas Inc., 2015-2019
- Johnson & Johnson (formerly Pfizer Consumer Healthcare), 2006-2015
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver, and Jacobson, 2004-2006
- Jones Day (formerly Pennie & Edmonds), 1998-2004
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom – New York, NY (1997-1998)
- Darby & Darby – New York, NY (1994-1997)
- Fish & Neave – New York, NY (1991-1994)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (1990-1991)