Throughout the tenure of his career in both the legal and engineering fields, Dennis Carleton has many years of experience working in innovative engineering environments, allowing him to speak the language of an innovator and apply his legal skills to guide his clients through the intellectual property process. Dennis has experience providing infringement and right-to-use analyses, including the drafting of opinion letters. He often assists clients to identify and design around existing IP roadblocks, helping them avoid costly litigation. He also has garnered extensive experience negotiating and drafting development agreements, licenses, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and employment and contractor agreements, as well as having significant experience in the procurement and licensing of trademark assets.
Dennis assists clients in a wide range of industries, drafting and prosecuting patent applications in electrical, software, and mechanical areas, covering a broad range of technologies, including robotics and automation, medical devices, facial recognition and identification, artificial Intelligence and machine learning, cyber security and trusted computing, business methods, electronic and internet commerce methods, high speed communications, mathematical algorithms, GPS systems, hydraulics, power electronics, and material sciences.
- Recipient of the American Intellectual Property Law Association’s Robert C. Watson Award for the best article regarding the protection of Intellectual Property
- Federal Circuit Court Denies Patent for “Too Abstract” Risk Management Process
- South-Side’s WeatherWise In Decade-Long Dispute Over Patenting “Processes”
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section, ABA
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Engineer’s Society of Western Pennsylvania
Learn more about Dennis by viewing his KDB Lawyer Spotlight.
- Fox Rothschild, LLP, Partner, 2006 - 2017
- Buchanan Ingersoll, PC, Senior Associate, 1998 - 2006
- Thorp, Reed & Armstrong, Associate, 1996 - 1998
- Anesthesia Recording, Inc., Director of Application Development & Team Manager, 1992 - 1993
- Digital Equipment Corporation, Senior Software Engineer, 1983 - 1992
- Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, Director of Research Program, 1988 - 1990